AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Healthcare Law
- Business Law
- Healthcare Litigation
- North Carolina, 2021
- South Carolina Bar, 2022
- United States District Court – NC Eastern District
- Campbell University School of Law
- Juris Doctor, December 2020
- Magna cum laude
- Juris Doctor, December 2020
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- B.S. Dental Hygiene
- North Carolina State University
- B.S. Zoology
Mysty Blagg helps healthcare professionals and healthcare companies achieve their strategic goals through her legal representation. She is a second-career healthcare advocate that brings over twenty years of prior health care industry experience into the practice of law. Her clients benefit from her unique and valued perspective derived from her previous careers as a healthcare compliance investigator, Medicaid appeals specialist, and a registered dental hygienist.
Mysty has advised clients on regulatory matters regarding digital health, telemedicine or telehealth, virtual health care, healthcare licensing, healthcare provider scope of practice, HIPAA compliance, change of ownership (“CHOW”), and Corporate Practice of Medicine. Mysty also represents clients in health care litigation matters stemming from occupational licensing disputes, health care facility licensing actions, government payor audits, Health and Human Services Departmental Appeals Board (“DAB”) Appeals, skilled nursing facility informal dispute resolution (IDR) and the independent informal dispute resolution (IIDR), and certificate of need contested case appeals.
She leverages her experience as a Medicaid healthcare compliance investigator to assist clients in maintaining an effective compliance program, responding to government investigations and audits, and complying with health care fraud and abuse laws such as the False Claims Act, Anti-kickback Statute, and Stark Law. In addition, Mysty assists clients with various other health care transactional matters including contract drafting and review.
Mysty’s practice spans across the continuum of care including long term care, post acute care, primary care, home health, hospice, laboratory services, and behavioral health. Mysty advises healthcare innovation and digital health clients as well as healthcare providers interested in alternate primary care models like direct care.
Mysty currently serves as Executive Vice-Chair of Membership Engagement in the Post Acute and Long Term Care Practice Area for the American Health Lawyers Association and serves on the Legal Advisory Council for Triage Cancer. She is a member of the Health Law Section for both the American Bar Association and the North Carolina Bar Association. Mysty frequently writes and speaks on health law topics.
In her free time, Mysty spends time with her three children, husband, and golden retriever playing on the beach. She also enjoys playing golf and listening to local bands.
- Author—“The Evolution of Medical Necessity for Dental Services in the 2023 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule,” published April 2022 in Payment Matters (Read here)
- Co-author – “Planning for Increased Health-Related Enforcement Efforts in 2022: Responding to Government Audits and Investigations,” published February 17, 2022 in Westlaw (January 2022) (Read here)
- Co-author—“Cybersecurity: A Whistleblower’s Paradise,” republished in FEDweek (April 2022) (Read here)
- Co-author—“Cybersecurity a Focus for Biden-Harris Administration in 2022,” republished in CPO Magazine (February 2022) (Read here)
- Author–CMS Further Relaxes Visitation Restrictions for Nursing Facility Residents (December 2021) (Read here)
- Guest Columnist: “Potential False Claims Act Liability for Nursing Homes,” republished in McKnight’s Long-Term Care News (July 2021) (Read here)
- Important Legislative Updates for North Carolina Dentists and Dental Hygienists, Alert (July 2021) (Read here)
- Quoted in Healthcare Risk Management About Considerations Associated with Use of “Granny Cams” (Oct. 21, 2022).
- Co-presenter – Advance Directives, Guardianship and COVID Updates, North Carolina Assisted Living Association;
- Co-presenter—“The Health Care Data Gold Rush: Exploring the Legal, Operational, and Ethical Concerns in Data Monetization,” AHLA Health Care Data Conference: Navigating Legal and Operational Challenges (April 2022);
- Panelist—“Legal and Regulatory Panel: How the Industry Can Prepare for and Adapt to the Changing Legal and Regulatory Environment,” Association for Home & Hospice Care of North Carolina 2022 Annual Convention & Expo (May 2022);
- Panelist—“The Legal and Regulatory Road Ahead for Home Health, Hospice, Palliative Care & Home Care Providers,” Association for Home & Hospice Care of North Carolina 2022 Leadership Conference (September 2022);
- Co-presenter— “Cybersecurity: It is Kind of a Big Deal,” Association for Home & Hospice Care of North Carolina 2022 Leadership Conference (September 2022);
- Webinar: Plan the Work and Work the Plan: Responding to Government Investigations (April 2022); and
- Webinar: Granny Cams—Should I or Shouldn’t I Allow Them, North Carolina Health Care Facilities Association (2022).
- Webinar: Privacy Dos and Don’ts and Social Media Risks (2022).