The federal estate tax is a tax imposed by the U.S. government on the transfer of the estate of a deceased person. The tax is levied on the value of the estate above a certain exempt amount.
It’s important to have a seasoned tax attorney that can help you navigate some of the particulars of the federal estate tax such as:
- The complexity of the tax laws and regulations.
- To ensure compliance with the tax laws and minimize liability.
- To maximize exemptions and deductions available.
- To plan for efficient transfer of assets and minimize tax liability.
- To represent the estate in any tax disputes with the government.